Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Our Engagement...

My engagement story is a very interesting one...

The story starts in July of 2008. Ryan and I decided to move in together. And Ryan also decided that it was time to buy me a ring. So, he started saving money and lots of it. The day after I signed our lease, sealing the deal.. I lost my job. Ouch.

So, here we are. 2 young people, with no furniture and no silverware and bare walls... trying to make ends meet. Needless to say, our one man salary at the time wasn’t enough to put much food in our fridge and Ryans savings account quickly dwindled to nothing.... and the ring plan was put on hold. In the mean time, I stumbled on a beautiful waterfront garden pavilion down the street from our condo, where I decided I wanted to get married one day.

I finally got an okay paying job that September. By October , our banking account was looking slightly stable again... and Ryans wheels starting spinning. The hunt for the ring began.

Thanksgiving 2008 was not a pleasant one for me. I had developed a wicked case of bronchitis, a sinus infection, and a touch of pneumonia. Hell did not begin to describe how sick I was. Thanksgiving was okay besides the forces being against me, and this is the day Ryan pulled my father into my parents backyard and asked for my hand in marriage.

The following day, Friday November 27th... Ryan and I worked a half day. When leaving for work that morning, I was severely disoriented and wishing I could crawl back in bed. My immune system was completely dissolved, and I was officially drained. Ryan wanted to take our camera with us that morning “I want to go by the wedding place after work, so we can take pictures to show my family.” It didn’t make sense, but I didn’t have the energy to question it.

After work, we went to my parents house to have Thanksgiving leftovers for lunch. Ryan was obnoxiously antsy the entire time, and I didn’t understand what his rush was. I ate slowly and took my time as I chatted with my parents, without stopping to notice that they were pretty antsy also.

On the drive home after lunch, I grew more and more tired... wanting nothing more than to take a hot shower and to crawl into my bed. But, Ryan insisted that we stop by this wedding spot to take pictures. I reluctantly agreed. He grabbed our camera, and we started walking toward the garden when a bunch of little old ladies started filing out of the building. “Honey! We cant take pictures with all these old ladies around! Lets come back some other day! Its cold, Im sick, I want my bed! Lets go!!! Please!!!” Ryans face fell as he got back into his truck. Our 2 minute drive back to our condo was quiet and awkward. Something was troubling this man. “Honey, are you okay? Why are you not talking? Whats wrong?”... his response?“Nothing”. Well, Fine then!

As soon as we got home, I went into our bedroom to pull out my comfy sweats... As far as I was concerned, my day was over and I was going to shower and get into bed. On my way to the bathroom, Ryan grabbed my arm and pulled me back into the room. He said he needed to talk. It went something like this:

Ryan: (While giving me a hug) “Will you marry me?”

Me: “Of course honey! We already talked about this”

Ryan: (pulling away to look at me, and reaching into his pocket) “No! Will your promise to love me forever?”

Me: “Oh my Gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh! Youre asking me to marry you!?”

Ryan: (While opening a small black velvet box) “Will you marry me?”

Me: (Now completely throwing myself on him) “Yes, yes! Yesssss!!! Baby! YES! Oh my Gosh, YES! (crying, crying, sniffling, more crying)

This went on and on for about 15 minutes before I even had the nerve to look at the ring. And when I did see my gorgeous, amazing, sparkly ring just SMILING at me.. . it all began again. More crying, more oh my gosh’s!, more sniffling, and more crying.

Ryan’s first master plan? To propose to me at the wedding place of my dreams in the same exact place we were to share our vows. Im still in awe that he planned something so simply romantic and wonderful.

But whats better then that plan? The way it actually played out. Just me and the most amazing man in the world, in our condo where we shared so many struggles and tears and wonderfully happy times... Asking me to be his wife, the mother of his children, and his soul mate until God parts us.

I couldn’t have anticipated a greater proposal. Is it the kind of stuff you see in fairy tales? Nope. But its my fairy tale. And I wouldn’t have changed it for anything.

That night (forgetting about my sick, sad immune system) Ryan and I celebrated at my favorite restaurant, and then celebrated with our closest friends at my favorite watering hole.

And then we lived happily ever after!









... but thats not the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment